Wednesday 24 April 2013

PINK + ORANGE CHECKERBOARD CAKE

Today is Oma's Birthday -  her 60th Birthday!!! We celebrated Oma's birthday this past Sunday with a pizza dinner at her place. This past weekend was super busy for us, so I did not have the time to make a cake {insert sad face}. Yesterday, when Oma came over for her weekly visit I made dessert - (recipe HERE) for us to enjoy with a cup of tea.

 Since I was not blogging yet at this time last year, I thought I would sneak this post in today --- Oma's Birthday cake from 2012 - Pink + Orange Checkerboard Cake with 3D Chocolate Butterflies.

 
Last year for Christmas my awesome sister gave me a Wilton Checkerboard Cake Pan Set (you can find it HERE) and I love it! She always finds me cute things for the kitchen. I decided to use it to create this cake. I used the following Classic Vanilla Cake recipe from Better Homes and Gardens (I reduced the sugar a lot - from 2  2/3 cups to 1 cup).


Iced Cake, ready for butterflies.
 
 
For the 3D butterflies and dragon fly I used melted chocolate chips and coloured chocolate melts.

 
 
Here's  the inside of the Pink and Orange checkerboard cake...
 
 
 
Overall the cake turned out neat looking. I was not a huge fan of the cake texture though. I found it was very dense and not very fluffy. It also did not rise very high. This may have been because I worked the batter too much when I added the food colouring ... I'm not too sure. Either way, if you want to give this cake a try, here is the recipe. Let me know how it turns out for you if you make it!


I had to share a quick picture of the card I made for Oma this year...




As I am sitting here writing this post I realised that for some reason I always seem to pick a PINK and ORANGE colour theme (obviously not intentional) when it comes to Oma. I usually try to use the colour Orange as it's a Dutch colour and then I find that Pink just goes nicely with it. Last year Oma's cake was Pink and Orange.  This year her birthday gift was also Pink and Orange -  it was an Apron in a Jar (pictures HERE).

Well that's it for today. We hope Oma is having a lovely Birthday day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips