Friday 21 June 2013

Runner Up {Porcupine Meatballs}

We always look forward to the big turkey dinner each year at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my in-laws. Let me tell you my mother in-law always puts on such a tasty and delicious meal. Her turkey is always cooked perfectly and tastes wonderful. In the past we have also had a couple steak dinners that my father in-law was in charge of BBQing and he does an amazing job cooking the perfect steak! As I sit here typing this post my mouth is starting to water just thinking of the delicious food. 

Any who, this blog post is about a completely different kind of dinner that we've had at my in-laws --- Porcupines. I first had Porcupines when my mother in-law served it to us for dinner when Byron and I were dating and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Since she gave me the recipe which was quite a few years ago, we make Porcupines for dinner often, usually with scalloped potatoes (I already have the oven on) and a veggie side. When I make them now however, I do not make them as spicy so Hugo can enjoy them also.

These guys are a bit time consuming to make because you have to shape the meatballs and then they take about an hour to cook, but they are worth the extra time they require.

To make the porcupine meatballs you need a can of condensed tomato soup (we use Campbell's), a small pack of ground beef (we like using lean), French Onion Soup mix, rice, and if you like it a bit spicy you can add some crushed chillies to the sauce.

To make the sauce you just mix the condensed soup with 3/4 of the can of water and stir well. For the meatballs you mix the dry ingredients and then shape them into 1 inch meatballs. Add the meat balls to the sauce and cook in the oven for about an hour. Half way through cooking pull them out and give them a stir.


Here's our scallop potatoes.


When the porcupines are done they should look like these guys ...



 
If you want to give these guys a try here's the recipe. I find some times I do need to turn up the heat and leave them in the oven a bit longer for the rice to fully cook. It depends on your oven.
 
 

Have you made porcupines before?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips