Monday 5 August 2013

A Perfect Soft Boiled Egg

Every now and then I feel like having a soft boiled egg for breakfast.  To be honest I do not eat eggs very often any more but the odd time I feel like having one. They remind me of my childhood for some unknown reason.

 
 
For the longest time whenever I would go to make a soft boiled egg though, more often than not I always ended up with a hard boiled egg instead {insert extremely disappointed face} because I would time it wrong. I kept forgetting the required amount of time it needed because I just don't make them often enough. I finally wrote it down instead of constantly bugging my mom. The other day I was looking for my little slip of paper I wrote it on and of course I misplaced it. I figured it was time I do a post for future reference and thus this post came to exist.

The key to a perfect soft boiled egg is timing ... you take it out too soon, you end up with a super runny egg ... you leave it in too long, you end up with a hard boiled egg. Once you get the timing down, it is extremely easy soft boiling an egg.

To prepare the perfect soft boiled egg you first fill a pan 1/3 of the way up with water and get it boiling. Secondly, carefully place the egg in the boiling water. Thirdly set your timer immediately on for 5 MINUTE once the egg has been placed in the water (THIS IS KEY).
 
 
When the timer is up remove the pan off the heat immediately and move it to the sink. Run cold water over the egg(s) until there is no more hot water in the pan. That is it!!
 
 
Place the egg in an egg cup if you have one and give it a couple taps on the top with a butter knife to crack the top third of the egg and peel it off. If you don't have an egg cup no big deal. Cut off the top section of the egg to reveal the yolk and your egg is ready to be eaten.

 
I like cutting a piece of toast into strips as it makes it easier for dipping into the egg.

Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips