Friday 6 September 2013

Labour Day Weekend

Hope everyone had a good weekend and Labour Day. Our long weekend was busy. I must apologize in advance as this post is going to be a long one, plus I had to back date it as I did not get a chance to finish it off early enough. Things have been a wee bit busy around here so I am just getting around to posting this.

Last year my sister in-law suggested a new tradition for us to start  - before she goes back to school to start a new school year (she's a teacher) we have a family dinner. Last year the dinner was at our place but I can not remember what we had (I think we had pizza but I am not positive). This labour day weekend the tradition continued, however, we had dinner at my in-laws and they ordered in some pizza (Hugo's favourite). For dessert this year we did something different, we went for ice cream from the original Paisley Lorna Doon in Wasaga. Since we had not gone there yet for our yearly summer treat, Byron thought it would be a nice way to end the summer. It was on our to do list for the weekend, so it worked out that we were able to cross it off the list on Saturday and enjoy a wonderful dessert!

 
This was Hugo's first taste of the original Lorna Doon's Banana Split (Byron asked them to leave the coconut out so Hugo could share it with him).
 
 
 
The Lil man enjoyed his banana split.
 

 
I had a Brownie Sunday. Every time I have one of these it reminds me of the time I was pregnant with Hugo. The first time I had one while I was pregnant with the Little Man he moved around a lot in my belly (probably from the sugar overload). Towards the end of my pregnancy there was a day that he just seemed to have stopped moving which made me quite concerned as he usually moved around a lot. Byron and I went to the original Lorna Doon's and I had a Brownie Sundae in hopes that it would get him moving around, but it did not do the trick and we ended up going to the Hospital to get monitored and everything was fine. I guess he just wanted to rest more that particular day.

On Sunday and Monday I was a busy lady in the kitchen! 

 

To my surprise I was able to get some canning done. I was able to convince Byron to look after Hugo before he went riding. Sunday morning before Byron left for biking I made pizza sauce and we processed it once he returned.


On Monday, I tried a new salsa recipe (I did not make a big batch like I normally do because it was a new recipe and I was not sure if we would like it). I've been canning for the past 4 or 5 years. (I didn't can the year I was expecting Hugo because Byron did not think it would be a good idea). In past years I've had Byron's help with all the prep but this year I did it solo as he was looking after the Lil Man for me.


 
 
We found another use for the burner that came with the deep fryer last year! I was able to process the jars outside which is so nice because it reduces the heat in the house, plus it was a lot quicker to get the water boiling.



I am not going to lie, it is ALOT of work canning but the end product is so worth it! Knowing exactly what you are eating is wonderful, especial when a lot of the ingredients are right from your garden.  

On Sunday evening after dinner Byron suggested we go for a drive and a DQ treat. Another fabulous idea from my awesome Hubby!

 

We brought our treats home to enjoy - I had a vanilla cone which I shared with the Lil Man and since Byron had shared his past two treats with Hugo he had the Peanut Buster Parfait all to himself minus a spoonful.



It's a good thing we had the ice cream earlier in the weekend because the weather sure did cool down by the end of Monday. It felt so cool and crisp out. Definitely back to school fall weather. I can not believe summer is over. It sure did go by fast!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips