Wednesday 20 March 2013

1 2 3 GROW

I was up at 5:00 a.m. this morning (I got up with Byron and was able to see him before he headed off to work). For the past couple weeks now this has been part of my morning routine. I find it's the only way I can get anything done. Most days it is slightly difficult getting up this early, as I am usually up once or twice between 12:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. dealing with an unhappy Hugo. I find if I don't do it I can't seem to get much done through the day as I am doing my regular job (being a mommy) and then during nap time that is when I do all the fun stuff -- laundry, cleaning, prepping dinner, etc., repeat. I find getting up early I am able to deal with the blog posts and some other stuff I have on the go. Byron thinks I am crazy, but oh well ... it means I get a bit of "me" time (which is almost non-existent when you have a kid). Over the past couple days, however, I have slowly fallen behind as I have been feeling a bit under the weather. I think the current bug that is floating around is trying to attack me but I will not give up without a fight.

Last week (March Break), I finally got around to planting our seeds for our garden this year. This is the first year we are planting our own seeds. In past years we have just gone to the green house and bought the little plants the weekend before May 2 - 4 and away we went. Last year though, it seemed to add up really quick so we thought why not try our own seedlings this year. We also figure when Hugo is a bit older, it will be a good learning experience for him to see the entire process of how veggies grow. I may or may not have planted the seeds to early. I am aiming to plant things in the veggie garden the week of May 2 - 4.  I followed the recommended dates on the packages for planting indoors, but my Mother-in-law informed me this week that I planted them to soon, she always plants hers the first week of April. We shall see how they do.

Here are some of the seeds we planted ...

 
 
We bought a greenhouse kit which came with everything we needed to start our seeds.
 
The tray with cover and 72 plastic cells.

Fiber Grow Growing mix pods

These are neat ... when you add warm water they grow ...
 
I planted my seeds and labelled it.

the pods turn into the above.
 

 
 
I sprayed some water with my water bottle, covered it and then placed them in front of our living room window where they will get lots of sunshine.
 
And then we wait ...
 
 
 
Yesterday (March 19, 2013) I checked on our seeds ...
 
 
They appear to be doing well ...


These are our beefsteak tomatoes
 

Mini pumpkins are also starting to grow (bottom left of pic).

The cucumbers are doing GREAT!
 
 
So far our plants are doing great, we shall see their progress next week! It is so nice thinking of the garden. It's a wonderful reminder that the lovely summer weather is around the corner {Yippee, Yahoo, Hooray}!


 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips