Monday 18 March 2013

Cauliflower Soup with Sharp Cheddar & Thyme


The other day I wanted to make a different soup, so I went on a search for a cauliflower soup and stumbled upon the following recipe from Big Girls Small Kitchen. I made a couple revisions to their recipe and the end product turned out great!


 

 
 
Recipe adapted from Big Girls Small Kitchen

Cauliflower Soup with Sharp Cheddar & Thyme

[Makes 4 servings]

 Ingredients

1 tbsp unsalted butter [I had a bit of salted butter that need to be used, so I used that instead]
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 celery stalks, chopped [I added this in]
1 small carrot, chopped  [I added this in]
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt [I omitted the salt- as butter already has salt]
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves [only had dried – used ¼ tsp dried]
1 quart (4 cups) chicken or veggie stock
2 1/2 cups chopped cauliflower florets (should be the same size as the potatoes) [I had a small head of cauliflower and used it all]
2/3 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

In a medium Dutch oven or lidded saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil over a medium heat. Cook the celery, carrot and onions until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover, and cook until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Uncover, stir in the salt, garlic, thyme and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook for two minutes, then check the potatoes to make sure they are tender. If so, add the cauliflower, cover, and cook for another 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and puree with an immersion or standing blender. Stir in half of the cheddar cheese and the mustard. Taste for seasoning and add more salt as needed. Serve in individual bowls, topped with the remaining cheese.




This was my very first time making a cauliflower soup. It's not really a type of soup I thought I would enjoy, but it did turn out good. Have you made Cauliflower soup before? If so, what recipe do you use?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips