Friday 31 May 2013

A Visit to the Vet

We finally transferred Roxy to a new vet here in town at the end of April. It only took us 3 years. After we moved we continued to take her to her old vet. It just seemed to be easier, plus they knew her medical background. I think her medical file is probably as big as Byron and my file combined.  Each year I am reminded why I really dislike taking Roxy to the vet.  Lets just say the amount we spent on her vet bill, we could have gone on a really nice weekend getaway, but she's our baby girl and we want to make sure she is healthy. It's a good thing she only has to go once a year. She is a lucky girl that we love her so much.

After her last visit to the vet we had to give her Benadryl after her appointment to ensure she didn't have any allergic reactions to the shots she had to get. She has had a reaction to a shot in the past and it was not fun. We ended up having to take her to the emergency vet clinic because her face swelled up like a balloon and it was extremely scary and super expensive. I must admit when ever I have to give Roxy any type of pill I DREAD IT!! She refuses to eat it. Usually I mix the pill with her food in her bowl and it always amazes me when she eats all the food and manages to leave the pill in the bowl {seriously how does she do it}. I have tried so many different techniques to try and get her to take the pill but nothing seemed to work. I think I have figured it out though. Roxy just LOVES peanut butter. When we finish a container, I always give it to her as a treat to lick before it gets put into recycling {I think if she could crawl into the container she would}...

 
 
I took the Benadryl pill and covered it with a bit of peanut butter and let me tell you, I have never seen her eat a pill so quickly with no hesitation {I must remember this for next time}. Thus,  I decided to do a post on this just in case I have a senior's moment and forget for next time.
 

 

 
Do you have any special tips or tricks that work for you? I would love to know what they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips