Wednesday 22 May 2013

Victoria Day Weekend = Garden Planting Time!

For a number of years now, Byron and I always prep our garden and plant our veggies on Victoria Day weekend. I guess it has become a tradition. This year was no exception, however, I was on my own dealing with the garden as Byron has been busy working on Bitsy trying to get her ready for our first camping trip -- which is 3 WEEKS away!!

This year it did take a little longer to get everything planted as I had to do it during nap time {sometimes this is not very long}. Since our soil is very clayey here, we decided to add some sand this year to the garden along with our usual  four bags of sheep manure.


On Sunday, I managed to get my seeds planted (carrots, purple beans, snow peas, spinach and potatoes) and that was it. I was not able to return back to the garden until Tuesday. I some how managed to quickly plant the rest of the veggies before the rain came which was perfect because I didn't have to water.
 
 
1. jalapeƱo peppers. 2. cucumbers (don't think they will do well because I started them to early). 3. long red cayenne hot peppers. 4. tomatoes (next year I need to start these guys and my sweet peppers sooner). 5. pumpkins (need to start these later). 6. butternut squash (started at the beginning of May because I forgot about them. This year we decided to plant the butternut squash and cherry tomatoes in a pot).
 
Each year it is always interesting seeing how much the garden produces. Last year we had an abundance of cucumbers. We shall see how the garden does this year. It's our first year growing some of the plants from seed, so it has been a learning experience.
 
 
When I was out in the yard on Saturday, a little toad hopped over for a visit. When we first moved to our current house there were so many of these guys around. Big ones and so many little ones, but they are slowly disappearing {sad face}.
 
 

When do you plant your veggie garden? What did you plant this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips